The International Baccalaureate® (IB) sets a submission date for the extended essay, which is communicated with schools.
It is each school’s responsibility to ensure that all candidate work is received by the IB, with the required paperwork received by the submission date set.
Schools should set internal deadlines
Schools and supervisors are strongly recommended to set internal deadlines for the different stages of producing an extended essay, keeping in mind the IB’s submission date.
If you wish to find out more about the deadline for a particular school, please contact that school directly.
Further information on deadline setting
There is further information on the requirements for meeting external deadlines in the Handbook of Procedures for the Diploma Programme.
Educators in IB World Schools can access the relevant parts of the handbook in the IB’s online curriculum centre (OCC), using their existing log-in details.
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) online curriculum centre (OCC), a key resource for educators at IB World Schools, includes several examples of extended essay titles.
These highlight the diverse range of topics covered by International Baccalaureate® (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) students during their extended essays.
Some examples are:
- “An analysis of costume as a source for understanding the inner life of the character”
- “A study of malnourished children in Indonesia and the extent of their recovery after a period of supervised improved nutrition.”
- “Doing versus being: language and reality in the Mimamsa school of Indian philosophy.”
- “The effects of sugar-free chewing gum on the pH of saliva in the mouth after a meal.”
- “To what extent has the fall in the exchange rate of the US dollar affected the tourist industry in Carmel, California?”
- “What level of data compression in music files is acceptable to the human ear?”
Also available in the OCC, the Handbook of Procedures for the Diploma Programme has guidance on choosing a subject for the extended essay.
The OCC is only available to existing IB World Schools.
You can also purchase examples of essays in the IB Store. These essays fulfil the requirements for an ‘A’ grade in the extended essay.
If your school is not one already, learn how to become an IB World School in order to implement the DP.