As we all know that UPSC Mains Essay Writing Paper Analysis is the most important stage of CSE that decides the selection and, of course, the top rank in the final list, has begun. And the first paper was held on Oct 2018. UPSC used to plan Essay paper for the opening of mains exam every year. So this year also.
UPSC Mains Essay Paper Analysis
We know everyone, who are preparing for the CSE are curious to know the trend, pattern, topics, subject etc of the Essay paper 2018.Thereby we are putting our efforts to analysis of 2018 essay paper.
As usual, this year essay paper is divided into two section- Section A and Section B. One essay have to be chosen from each section. So two essays have to be written. The total marks of the paper is 250 and the time allowed is 3 hours. World limit for each essay is 1000-1200 words.
First, we will go through the Section A:
Four topics are asked in this section. These are
- Farming has lost the ability to be a source of subsistence for majority of farmers in India.
- Impact of the new economic measures on fiscal ties between the union and states in India.
- Destiny of a nation is shaped in its classrooms.
- Has the Non-Alignment Movement (NAM) lost its relevance in a multipolar world?
Above four topics can be analyzed as follows:
|TOPIC||BELONGING GS PAPER||SUBJECT|
|GS PAPER 3||Agriculture-Major Crops and Food processing industry|
|2.Impact of…..||GS PAPER 3||Economic Development|
|3.Destiny of…….||GS PAPER 2||Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health,|
Education, Human Resources.
|4.Has the….||GS PAPER 2||Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements|
In Section B, number of topics are also same and these are as follows,
- Joy is the simplest form of Gratitude.
- Fulfilment of new woman in India is a myth.
- We may brave human laws but cannot resist natural laws.
- Social media is inherently a selfish medium
Above four topics can be analyzed as follows:
|TOPIC||BELONGING GS PAPER||SUBJECT|
|1.Joy….||GS PAPER 4||Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behavior;|
|2.Fulfillment of…..||GS PAPER 1||Social empowerment,|
|3.We may ……||GS PAPER 3||Conservation, environmental pollution, and degradation,|
|4.Social media….||GS PAPER 3||role of media and social networking|
So we can see, that all the eight topics are covered in GS paper 1-4, syllabus.And these are not the new areas that is touched by UPSC.So UPSC is somehow sympathetic to the aspirant this year, not to go beyond its given syllabus 🙂
Hence this year paper is not considered difficult or demanding extra efforts to attempt. If someone has prepared the four GS paper very well with good coverage of issues and analytical understanding, he/she could attempt with confidence and better understanding of given issues.
Therefore, essay paper does not require separate time and study material to prepare.It’s can be prepared along with GS preparation with the right approach.Only the thing is required and definitely, it’s not only required but also the condition to be focused and confident in the examination hall is “WRITING PRACTICE”.One essay should be written every week by every sincere aspirant to fetch the good marks in Mains examination.
Hence, it can be concluded that UPSC has more focused on the key issue of Society, Women, Agriculture, Government, Economy, Development, Science & Technology, International Relations, World politics, Personal and Moral development of human beings, Environment and Conservation etc.since 2013.And it is per se the nature of services-Civil Services, for that UPSC is seeking the right candidate to serve the nation.
All the Best for you preparation.Be focused, keep reading, be healthy and enjoy the way to success.
Stay SUPER with SuperProfs!
Please check below few important links for your UPSC 2018 | 2019 Exam Preparation
SuperProfs– India’s Largest Online Coaching Platform is offering FREE Trial Online Classes for UPSC- Prelims and Mains Aspirants. Now students from all over India can learn from India’s Most Experienced Professors online and get their dream career of IAS.
Click Here To Register for your FREE Trial Classes
UPSC Syllabus, Exam Pattern and Subjects | IAS Exam Pattern 2018,2019
UPSC Prelims Syllabus & Structure 2018
Writing a good essay is not always easy. It requires right approach and good practice. But it has been observed that many candidates take the essay paper too lightly resulting in a score not comparable with their potential. Hence, it is vital to attempt this paper with the same seriousness as all other papers in GS Mains and learn the art of writing a good essay.
Practice is the key!
Practice, not talent, is the key to success.
Make reading good essays a habit. And more importantly, start writing essays from today.
Participate in ClearIAS Answer Writing Program (AWP) for mains. It’s completely free!
Understanding Essay Paper in IAS Exam
250 marks out of 2025 (12.3 %) are the weight-age of essay paper on total Civil Services Mains Marks as per the latest UPSC syllabus. Since 2015, candidates are asked to write two essays out of 8 choices. Each essay is for 125 marks (1000-1200 words). Check the UPSC CSE Essay Syllabus here.
Time allotted is 3 hours.
Note: Before 2013, UPSC CSE essay paper was only for 200 marks with a single essay to write upon!
UPSC’s expectation from Essay Paper
Examiners will pay special attention to the candidate’s grasp of his/her material, its relevance to the subject chosen and to his/her ability to think constructively and to present his/her ideas concisely, logically and effectively.
How To Write A Good Essay In Civil Service Mains Exam?
- Make a framework (blueprint) of the essay you are going to write first.
- Our advice would be to use simple language. As Anton Chekov once said ‘Brevity is the sister of talent’.
- The idea of using ornamental language to showcase your English vocabulary may backfire at times. But, don’t make your essay sound like a General Studies answer.
- If the introduction can generate a curiosity in the reader, that would be great.
- There should be a logical continuation from beginning to end.
- The essay should be organized in well-structured paragraphs coherent with the flow of the essay.
- Don’t be too aggressive or pessimistic in your tone.
- Come up with good points and express new viewpoints.
- Go through well-written essays by experts in newspapers and magazines, and understand how they frame the ‘Introduction’ and ‘Conclusion’ paragraphs.
- In most cases, there will not be any need for separate coaching or preparation for essays, and candidates’ reading and preparation for General Studies Mains should suffice. But make sure your writing and analytical skills are up to the UPSC expectations; if not, polish it.
- Write mock essays and get it evaluated by experts in the field.
Let’s analyze a few previous year UPSC essay papers.
Essay Questions asked in UPSC (Mains) Examination
Write an essay on any one of the following topics:
- In the context of Gandhiji’s views on the matter, explore, on an evolutionary scale, the terms ‘Swadhinata’, ‘Swaraj’ and ‘Dharmarajya’. Critically comment on their contemporary relevance to Indian democracy.
- Is the criticism that the ‘Public-Private-Partnership’ (PPP) model for development is more of a bane than a boon in the Indian context, justified?
- Science and Mysticism: Are they compatible?
- Managing work and home – is the Indian working women getting a fair deal?
- Creation of smaller states and the consequent administrative, economic and developmental implications.
- Does Indian cinema shape our popular culture or merely reflect it?
- Credit-based higher education system –status, opportunities, and challenges.
- In the Indian context, both human intelligence and technical intelligence are crucial and combating terrorism.
How much is a good score in UPSC CSE essay paper?
As the essay paper is out of 250, marks which are above 50% can be considered good, ie. 125.
Marks between 110-125 is considered as average.
Marks in the range 150-160 are possible for exceptional essays.
Note: UPSC may award poorly written essays marks as low as ‘0’ or ’20’. So beware and pay sufficient attention to proper practice.
Important Essay Topics for UPSC CSE
Topics like Women empowerment, Rural development, Social Justice, Terrorism and Internal Security etc are hot topics for essays and be prepared with various dimensions of the same in UPSC Exam.